AwesomePawsForum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Developing Jumping Skills for Awesome Agility Teams Second Edition coming soon!

Author Topic: Developing Handling Skills Supplemental Resources  (Read 10181 times)

Linda Mecklenburg

• Administrator
  • Awesome Member
    • Awesome Paws
Developing Handling Skills Supplemental Resources
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »
I've been putting together a bunch of supplemental resources for my book, Developing Handling Skills (DHS). I will try to summarize here :

I have two live seminars recorded at Clean Run on video: the Foundation Seminar and Balancing Cues in Agility.

The Foundation Seminar video is a live seminar that is primarily lecture and demonstration. The material covered corresponds to CHs 1 & 2 DHS, which are Cues and Fundamental Skills. This is an excellent introduction to motion and the basic concepts presented in the book.

The Balancing Cues in Agility video is a live seminar taught by myself with actual working students. It is not intended to directly correspond to a particular chapter. Instead, it focuses on practical application of the concepts presented in CHs 1, 2, 3 and 4 (and bits of other chapters and appendices too) and endeavors to tie it all together into "real" agility. In it, I review a lot of the theoretical concepts presented in the book, while helping the students learn to "balance" their cues with an emphasis on the appropriate use of motion. Watching this video will be like auditing a seminar. Many people that have read the book tell me this seminar gave them many "light bulb moments" where they actually began to understand the concepts.

I think these two seminars together, The Foundation Seminar and Balancing Cues for Agility, will give handlers a good understanding of the concepts in the book and a solid foundation on which to build their skills.

The Handling Common Sequences in Agility video directly corresponds to Chapter 6, Common Sequences, in Developing Handling Skills. In it, I demonstrate each CRCD figure in the chapter, performing each sequence with one of my dogs. It is a supplement to the book. Unlike the other videos, there is very little discussion other than the voiceover describing the handling shown on the screen. This video was made for those that have asked for a visual demonstration of the handling described in the book and crcd figures.

None of the three videos are the same. Each provides a different type of information or presents similar concepts in different ways. I've also been gradually adding other video supplements to aid understanding of the concepts in the book to my website & youtube channel. This is a summary of what is currently available:

**Developing Handling Skills (Book)
Available at www.awesomepaws.us

**Balancing Cues in Agility (Video) Recorded live seminar presentation with working students learning to balance their cues.
DVD available at www.awesomepaws.us
VOD available soon at www.awesomepaws.us

**DHS CHs 1 & 2 Cues and Fundamental Skills: Foundation Seminar (Video). Recorded live seminar presentation with lecture and demonstration providing an overview of chapters 1 & 2.
VOD available at www.awesomepaws.us

**DHS CH 3 Standard Cue Combinations: Demos of the crcd figures described in Chapter 3.
Video available on DHS playlist.

**DHS CH 6 Handling Common Sequences in Agility (Video): Demos of the crcd figures described in Chapter 6.
DVD available at www.awesomepaws.us
VOD available at www.awesomepaws.us
Online Handling Course that corresponds to the DVD: available at www.awesomepaws.us

**DHS CH 10 Course Handling: Demos of the course runs described in Chapter 10.

**DHS Appendix 1 Motion Cues: Demos of the motion cues.

**DHS Appendix 2 Jumping Arcs: Demos of jumping the arcs.

**Awesome Paws Forum: Online discussion forum for DHS (and other agility related topics). Updates to Supplemental Resource List and/or DHS Playlist are posted on the Announcements Board on the Awesome Paws Forum.
Forum available at www.awesomepaws.us

**DHS Playlist: Videos on the DHS playlist are free of charge. Those videos, along with previews of the Foundation Seminar VOD, the Balancing Cues in Agility DVD/VOD, and the Handling Common Sequences in Agility DVD/VOD, are on the playlist.
Playlist available at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4E6AB979F5D1216B&feature=viewall

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:01:19 PM by Linda Mecklenburg »